Tuesday, May 24, 2005

First day, visit and sunburn!

This morning, I fell asleep in the sun and got a sun burn on my hands and on the neck, never have I ever been so red.
The sun hear is so different because Quito is on the Ecuador and in the mountains so you can imagine.
After waking up with those ridiculous sunburns, I went in the city centre for a visit of the Ecuadorian national history museum. A beautiful museum but unfortunately there was no guided tour, so I had to discover all by myself.
So if you want to know, people started living in Ecuador approximately 14'000 years ago after having crossed by feet the Bering Strait and headed south for several hundreds of years. It is only in the XVI century that the colonial Spaniards have imposed by force their culture and costumes.
Ecuador only exists since 1830 when the Gran Colombian Empire led by Simon Bolivar has broke into pieces.
After this very entertaining visit, I had a meeting for my future work here in Quito. I will work in a company named Terrafértil. David Bermeo, the company chief executive officer, enlightened me on the purpose of my internship. I will be analyzing the European, American and Canadian market and try to understand the trade tariffs with those markets.
Then I went shopping in a mall in the north of Quito, everything seemed so cheap compared to the price I am used to in Great Britain, so I decided to buy a couple CDs and a Spanish to French lexicon.
This has been a long day especially that everything is in Spanish and requires me to do a lot of efforts to understand what the hell is going on, but what a beautiful language and culture.

No comments: