Thursday, May 26, 2005

Strange but great city tour

Thursday morning, no big rush. I left with Toya at around 10 am in order to go to Itchimbia Centro Cultural where was held an art exhibition of children no older than 12.
The children have been accompanied by famous Ecuadorian artists to make their chef d’oeuvre: The theme of the exhibition was the difference. Difference of identities, different kind of fruits you find in Ecuador, different totems indigenes use, etc.
The exhibition was very moving because the children are able to express feelings and mix colours in a very different way than adults do. And even though it’s very seldom to see details, children are always able to pass a message, sometimes even, much better than adults can.
Itchimbia Centro Cultural is a monument which looks very much like old French train stations. On top of that, it was on a hill. So once again, the views we had of Quito North were outstanding.
After that, Toya dropped me in the old city. I wanted to go for a deeper visit of the old town. Toya had advised me to visit two museums, but by the time I was over with the sightseeing, the museums were closed. I imagine I'll just have to go back again.
By the way, when I was in front of the Government Palace, surprisingly, I saw a group of women protesting for women’s rights. I was not expecting to see some thing like that in a third world country. But whatever, what I will remember is that I met a girl astonishingly beautiful. I must say there are a lot of very good looking and fit Ecuadorian girls (guappa), but she was the very top in breed good looking Ecuadorian. So I started a chat with her, but after something like ten minutes we came to a very decisive question: Where are you from? As you can imagine I answered Switzerland, but she told me that she lived in a small city far from Quito and that she was in Quito for two days only. What a pity, all my efforts to get along with her were "nearly" in vain.
What a disappointment! But nevermind it's only my first week, and I'm sure I'll get to meet other good looking girls.
After my tour round the old city, I started walking north to go to a shopping centre (mall), but I got lost. So I asked my way to a man, a man wearing a suite and holding a briefcase. I thought that a man of that condition would have a better idea of where to go shopping than any other ordinary man.
I was right, he knew were to go. He told me to follow him because it was on his way home, and so I did. We took the bus together for more than half an hour, he was very curious and was full of questions. As he knew everything that happened in my life, I barely got to know his name and where he was from.
When we got to the mall, surprisingly he stepped off the bus with me and showed me around the mall. I stopped in a CD shop for 10 minutes, he looked over my shoulder for the entire time. As I had to leave to go back home, we exchanged phone numbers after what I thanked him very much for the guide he had been and ran away on a bus.
I met Fabian, in a hotel hall where indigenes were playing melodious Ecuadorian music.
Then Fabian and I drove home and spoke all night about politics, especially the American higher educative system, it was very interesting. I hope it was only the beginning of many more conversations!

No comments: