Saturday, June 04, 2005

Soccer Match: Ecuador 2 - Argentina 0

I got up this morning and drove to Pablo’s house. I was supposed to meet him to go with him at a very important soccer match opposing Ecuador to Argentina. It was going to be my first experience in soccer on the South American continent, the football continent. I got to his home at about 11:30am, but I didn’t see him before 1:30pm, he was taking his time in the shower as I was having a nice chat with his Mum and Dad. As soon as Pablo was ready, we left for the stadium, we got there by 2:00pm, met with his group of friends (the same one that had attended the barbecue) and got in the stadium. We got in at two knowing that the game was not starting before 4:00pm, but the stadium was already overcrowded and entirely yellow, representing the colours of Ecuador. As I said, this was going to be a very important match for Ecuador to be able to qualify for the World Cup 2006, which is going to take place in Germany. But Ecuador has only beaten twice Argentina over the past 45 games, so the challenge was going to be really hard. At 4:00pm, the match started in an absolutely great atmosphere. I must say that there was 40’000 Ecuadorian supporters for something like 200 Argentinean supporters. During the first half, Ecuador has been leading the game but Argentina had the most obvious opportunity to score. At the very beginning of the second half, Ecuador opens the score. The crowd went crazy and it started raining beer. The final score was 2 to 0 for Ecuador, this little country in the middle of the world had achieved an exploit and the stadium loved it.
After the game, we’ve spent some time at one of Pablos friends that has an apartment right near by the stadium. Once again, with Pablos friends I got bored. So I called Fabian and met him at Pablos house and drove home with him, had dinner, watched TV and went to bed.

No comments: